I kind of have another job. For this week, anyway. We have a small bookstore in our town, and I've worked there now and again, helping out on the till. It doesn't get terribly busy, but the store makes most of its money through internet orders and church libraries - they buy in bulk!
When I helped out on Saturday, I learned that he (the owner) just got in a huge shipment, and it all needs to be sorted and sent out to those who ordered.
Part of that process involves taking off the old price stickers that are on every book. Most of them come off pretty easily, but all of them leave a sticky residue that needs to be cleaned off as well. Yay for a little product called Goo Gone. It's an oily product, meant for removing sticky residue off of things. It also claims to remove artwork from your walls that your child may have put there, and apparently it works for getting makeup out of clothes too!
So anyway, the owner has several bottles of that stuff, because they use it all the time.
But back to those price stickers. They ALL need to come off. So. For eight hours on Saturday, I ran the till (for the few transactions that there were), and I picked stickers off of books. Man, my fingers were SORE. And since we only just got started on Saturday, I went back again to today to continue helping. I PICKED STICKERS for EIGHT HOURS.
And I'm going back tomorrow, and the next day, until it's all done. Am I crazy?! Well, he needs help, and I need money. It's fairly quiet in there, and my mind does a good job of wandering, so surprisingly, I didn't get too bored. Although I definitely wished I had an iPod.
I'll probably be more than sick of these stickers by the end of the week, but I'm not in a position to complain about how I can make money at this point in my life. Plus, I'm taking a vacation soon.
Have I mentioned that yet? Well, I knew that as soon as I was done at my other job, I was taking off to visit Art. My plane leaves Sunday afternoon, and I'll be back eight days after that. I can't wait!
But anyway, all I wanted to tell you is that sticker-picking is my life, and I'm ending this blog to go spend time with my niece who is here, and sounding very cute in the other room.
2 comments:
nice! ;)
the way is see it -- it's better to be a "sticker picker" then a "nose picker"
Ah, sticker picking! I've done that job a few times. Yes, the hands do hurt after a while. Glad to hear you have a job for a little bit :)
Post a Comment