May 27, 2008

Day 9: Take-Off

Monday: Art and Joe made breakfast for the ladies. As in myself and Art's sister Mary (who stayed the night). It was a nice treat for my last day. I also treated myself to not washing the dishes. (I was basically their housekeeper the whole time I was there.) Okay, that's not true, and even if it was, it was my own choice, and I didn't mind. :)

We watched another fight on tv, then we all went to Bob's Burgers for lunch. By "we all", I mean me, Art, Joe, Mary, Sozan, and Zana. Wayne joined us late. Zana really wanted to check out the place, as we kept telling him how amazing the burgers were, and then he didn't even get a burger. (Actually, none of us got a burger.) He got pie. Which is also pretty good. A slice of pie there is literally a quarter of a pie.

I got just fries, because I wasn't that hungry, and I love fries. (Not that it mattered that I wasn't hungry, because it was a huge serving of fries and I finished it anyway. With a little help.) Art got salad, which I'm pretty sure I've never seen him do before. He didn't even get any of those onion rings that he practically wants to marry.

It was a good farewell lunch, and Sozan got me a gift because my birthday is coming up! It was a really nice gesture, but then I felt dumb, because her birthday is soon after mine, and I didn't even think to get her anything.

After lunch, Art, Joe, Mary, and I stopped at the beach for about an hour. The tide was WAY out (like, a quarter mile), so of course, you have to take advantage of all the sand space. Joe and Art played frisbee, and Mary and I walked and watched, and I was snapping pictures. I got some pretty good action shots. After Art got all wet and dirty, we decided to head home.

I packed, and it was off to the airport. Like a herd of turtles. Like molasses in January. Like there was SO MUCH traffic, and we underestimated how long it would take to get there, and I was really worried that I was going to miss my flight.

I got there JUST before the estimated boarding time, so Art and didn't have a lot of time to say goodbye, which sucked. And then our plane was late and boarding happened really late, and had I known that, I could have stuck around a little longer. BUT: this is the last time we have to do this. The next time we see each other, we're leaving together.

I got into Winnipeg at 11:15pm, I got home at 12:20am, and don't think for a second that I bothered to unpack. I just rifled through my luggage so I could find some pajamas, and my stuff to take out my contacts. I even lay out the clothes I had been wearing, to wear the next day, because I was too tired to care about a different outfit.

And then it was time for a phone call to Art, because we're back to that again. The first couple are always hard, until I get used to it again. And falling asleep is also difficult, because I'm on west coast time. It really is easier to go 2 hours back than 2 hours ahead.

Only 52 more days to go.

No comments: