So........when we woke up this morning, there was about three inches of snow on the ground, and it kept right on coming. Perfect. One of the most important days of my life in 2009, and we're having inclement weather. Figures. Murphey's Law, and all that.
My appointment was today. My appointment at the United States Citizen and Immigration Services office in Seattle. To have my fingerprints taken.
When a semi-truck and two cars had a little tumble on I-5, I honestly thought we weren't going to make it, but we did.
They ushered us in, we went through security, I was given a number, I filled out a form, my number was called, I handed in the form, walked into a special room, was given another number, then that number was called, and some guy who couldn't have been older than 18 took my hand, and pressed the living whatever out of it, trying to get a decent scan of my fingertips.
Oh, and they took my picture. For my greencard. That was it. I don't think we were in that building more than 20 minutes. It felt a little pointless, having driven 2.5 hours (in the slush, no less) but at least it wasn't a long drawn-out ordeal. It could have been worse.
I could have been one of the people in the other line up.
The one for taking the Oath. THE Oath. I think I must have walked past more than a hundred people, all standing in one long, messy line, waiting to become citizens. And those poor employees. So few of them to manage the crowds. And guess how many of those new citizens-to-be were white.
If you guessed none, you'd be close. There might have been one or two. America really is the greatest country on earth.
Anyway, some people commented on my facebook page that it must have been really cool to have my fingerprints taken. I'm sorry to disappoint, but it didn't exactly feel like an epic moment. I mean, they don't even use ink anymore. They have a scanner, and it shows up on the computer screen.
I'm trying not to worry, because the guy told me that I might have to go back a second time, since I have scarring on the pads of my fingers, and he wasn't able to get a perfect scan every time. They won't reject me because of it, but they might ask for a "rematch", if you will.
So we wait. Wait to hear from USCIS. I'm thinking we'll know within two weeks. And I'll either have a brand spankin' new social security number, or another two-hour trip for a 20-minute appointment.
Either way, Art and I will probably celebrate by going to Denny's again, like we did today. Nothing says, "Yay, I'm in the system!" quite like a hot breakfast at 3 pm.
6 comments:
"America really is the greatest country on earth."
Sniff!!! I'm so proud of you! You've come so far. This brought little tears to my eyes.
that's not the end of the process you know
Thanks, Anonymous, for your condescending piece of advice. You're a real kill-joy.
I am VERY aware of how the process goes. But every step brings us that much closer to being done with all the frickin' paperwork. And I am happy about that.
Once again I enjoyed your post. I could "hear" your sarcasm. Well we
will wait to hear the good news that you got your greencard. Yes you are close to the end of the paper ttrraaiillllll! Love you.
Hi, this is Jenene's dad....It appears that "Anonymous" has a lot of opinions but doesn't want to leave his or her name. Well I have an opinion to that. My opinion is that you are somewhat of a coward or just plain gutless and so you remain anonymous. If you don't have anything positive to add, why even respond? Everyone has opinions about something but to remain "anonymous" is like a kid wanting a fight but will only strike when the other person's back is turned. So just so you know, anonymous, my name is gerald and you can respond anytime you want, but please leave your name.
Thank you Gerald for the best laugh I have had in days - you never disappoint! LOL! I agree with you - if you won't leave your name, don't spout your opinion! :)
Glad to hear the process is moving along, Jenene - and that you made it there and back safely. I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up to date with what is happening in your life through it.
Have a good one!
Hugs,
Marsha
Post a Comment