...that I am never having six kids.
I co-babysat at church this evening, for the kids of parents who were in the Sunday evening Bible study. The first 30 minutes went fine. They were just playing with toys, in a room far away from the adults.
Then we decided to start a movie. I was going to tell you that we watched WALL-E. But it's more like we "watched" WALL-E.
The oldest (who is probably 10) managed to watch most of it without being harassed too much. The other babysitter somehow made it through most of the movie, despite the fact that she was being jumped on and crawled over.
And I watched bits and pieces wherever I could. The rest of the time was spent telling the other five kids to stop running around, stop jumping on the furniture, stop hitting/throwing things at each other, and listening to: "Can I have a cookie? Where are the cookies? Are there more cookies? Can we have more cookies? Are there any cookies left? Why aren't there any cookies left?"
When I wasn't answering those questions, I had to listen to one seven year old tell me what time it was every minute for an hour. It is my opinion that kids should not have cell phones. At least not real ones with CLOCKS on them.
And then there was the kid who threw a fit. Of course. Because an evening of looking after six kids wouldn't be complete without a toddler screaming his head off, and then, in his anger, turning the lights off, which only made him cry harder.
I think I'm making sound little bit worse than it was. I'm just thankful it was only six kids, instead of twelve, like they originally thought. And you better believe I got paid for it. Ain't no way I'd put up with that for free. Which is why I'm not going to have six of my own.
4 comments:
Good call. I helped watch 4 kids this morning (3 one-year-olds and a 3-year-old) at our women's Bible study with one other lady and they were all angels! Yay!
I watch 12-16 kids for my job. You've just gotta have an iron fist. And a good yelling voice. Poker face doesn't hurt either. :)
Jenene somehow that didn't sound like it was fun. Was the other sitter not really doing her job?
Yes, she was doing her job. But it's not easy (nor was it required) to keep five kids from running around the room when they're bored and they just had a bunch of cookies. We just had to keep them occupied until the Bible study was over.
Post a Comment