March 16, 2009

Pearly Hopes and Dreams

Art told me this morning that he is so glad that I have a pulse. He says the most romantical things, doesn't he?

I spent all day in Seattle yesterday.

Art attended a Nutrition Certification in Seattle yesterday, and he left at 6:30 am. I also went to Seattle, but not for the same reason. Mari picked me up at 7 am, drove us to Oak Harbor, picked up her mom, and we drove to Seattle to attend The International Gem & Jewelry Show.

When my mother-in-law asked me last week if I wanted to go, I told her "no." I'm not really into jewelry, I don't have a lot, and the stuff I DO have, I hardly ever wear. But when I heard that Mari was going, and that Art was going to be gone all day as well, I decided to go.

I have never seen so many beads, gems, jewels, precious metals, and rocks in one place! Tables an booths were absolutely covered with everything from diamond jewelry to endless varieties of strings of beads to make whatever you want, to volcanic rocks and crystals, to individual gems, both refined and unrefined. It took us three and half hours to look at every table in the whole room.

Mom gave each of us money to buy whatever we wanted, and at first, I was convinced I wouldn't get anything. I mean, this was not cheap, low-quality stuff. This was the real deal.

Well, I guess some real deals can still be affordable.



Those are pearls, people. MY pearls. I am the very proud owner of a set of freshwater pearls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps some of you don't know. I love pearls. I LOVE pearls. Big puffy pink heart love pearls. When I got to the pearl vendors, I oohed and ahhed and cooed and gasped, and fantasized. But I didn't think I would find a necklace and matching self-sizing bracelet for $30!

Something else you might not know: I hate bracelets. HATE them. They never fit, which makes them loose and annoying, so I never wear them. Except if they're made of pearls, and the bracelet can fit any wrist.

I am beyond excited. I'm so in love with my new jewelry, and I feel like the richest girl on earth. I thought that pearls were incredibly expensive, and thought that I would only own something made of pearls in, like, ten years or something.

Of course, now I need a new little black dress to wear these with. ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenene I would love to take you little black dress shopping right about now! I've been thinking and wondering when the next time will be when I see you. Sigh. Maybe me and Dad will have to fly out. Anyway I'll try to call you now. Love you.

Elleah said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you that you got pearls! :D That was very generous of your mom-in-law!

Callie said...

I love pearls too! It's amazing how inexpensive real pearls can be sometimes - on our honeymoon in Hawaii, Derek and I found this little gift shop, and I found this long pearl necklace (real freshwater pearls, mind you) fo ronly fifteen dollars! It was half-off. But the necklace is long, probably about 48" or something! the pearls aren't perfectly shaped, but I like that because you can tell they are real and it gives it character. I'm pretty proud of my real pearl necklace, and I kind of wish I had bought another one. I need to go back to Hawaii and get one!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Jenene - you selected a beautiful set and the neat thing about pearls is they never go out of style....you will have them forever....and they look good at any age, so you will never outgrow them. Enjoy wearing them - you will make them look even more beautiful than they are on their own.
Hugs,
Marsha

Libbers said...

I'm interested to know how the bracelet fits ANY size wrist.