March 20, 2009

End-of-the-Week Musings

Did you know....that I often make fun of Art for being so weird, but I'm actually kind of jealous of him, because he is comfortable being weird around other people, and I am not. I'm only weird when I'm alone, but when I am alone, I am not necessarily being weird. It's like I'm too practical, even in private. (And by weird I mean making faces or noises or talking to myself. Stuff like that.)

Did you know....that when I wash the dishes, I almost never wash every dish? Once there are one or two dishes left, and the dish rack is full, I just empty the sink and walk away. Those last couple of dishes are not worth washing if it means I have to dry a few others just to make room for them.

Did you know....that I used to have a water bottle with me at all times, wherever I went? It started in high school, probably because of choir, or voice lessons. My teacher told me to drink lots of water, all the time. So I became known for having a water bottle with me 24/7. And for the past few months, I haven't had a water bottle, and I realized that I was dehydrated. I know I have no excuse for not drinking water, but it's so much easier to do with an ever-present bottle.

Last week, I finally got myself a bottle again, and my intake immediately increased. It truly makes a difference.


Did you know
....that I really miss having a job? I mean REALLY REALLY miss having a job. I miss being able to buy a book, or a movie, or some chocolate without worrying that we might not be able to pay our rent because of it. I miss having a reason to leave the house. I miss feeling important. I miss appreciating free time.

It's like Art's boss said the other day: "I don't know how people retire." Having nothing to do, all day long, day after day, month after month is not glorious or fun. People might tell me that I could be doing so many things with my free time, but free time is so much more enjoyable when you know what it's like to not have free time.

The reason people enjoy vacations so much is because it's rare. It's a treat. It's not an everyday occurrence. They work hard, and they need a rest. They've earned it.

I've been resting for eight months now, and I'm tired of it. "Rest" doesn't mean anything anymore. I'm tired of not having anything new to tell people.

The number one thing I get asked is, "how is the immigration thing going?" And I'm not insulted by it, don't feel bad if you've asked me that a few times in the past few months. But here is the truth about the immigration process: it is 5% filling out paperwork, and 95% waiting. So just know that if you ask me that question, my answer will probably be, "well, we're still waiting on our blah blah blah..."

I think that's why I'm going so stir-crazy. I've been waiting and waiting, and I'm so close! There's the possibility that in a week, I will have a Social Security #, and I can finally DO something! I can finally contribute to society, finally get a job, finally feel like I have a life! (And if anyone dares to dash my hopes by telling me that I probably won't find a job because of our economy, I will unleash such a fury on you....)

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I didn't really intend to go in this direction. Then again, I didn't intend to go in any direction. I just wanted to write. And this is where I ended up. I'm going to work out again tonight, and I think that will help with my mood a little bit. It really is the best way to blow off a little steam. Other than blogging, of course..... ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenene...I enjoyed reading your last blog even if there was nothing astounding or monentous you were writing about. I like your honesty about how your feeling and also think you have an interesting way of writing. Do you think I'm biased because you're my daughter? Anyway I've been thinking you might want to get involved in your church even it it's only for a time. There are Prov students in our church getting involved even though they can only commit till Sept. Give it some serious thought. Love and prayers, Mom.

Callie said...

Good point about the job/free time. It's true, you do appreciate your free time more when you don't have as much of it! I was without steady work for a while, but now I have a regular job and my spare time is a lot more valuable to me!

Libbers said...

1. Yeah, Art is super duper cool like that. And you're completely right. I'm the same way... it's so weird... we all want to be unique and not just one of the herd, but we all balk at standing out if it could possibly be embarrassing. huh.

2. That's ok. I do that occasionally too. You're really just making things easier for yourself. Drying is one thing that nature takes care of for us. Work smarter, not harder, right?!


Also, you're right about the unemployment thing. It sucks. Time off is great because it's rare... otherwise, you just waste your time away. Not that I'm saying YOU do, just people in general with too much time on their hands.


Have you gotten that Amazon wishlist set up yet?? I need you to.... :P