July 26, 2009

On Storms, Moving, and My Grandma

Today is my grandma's 90th birthday. I really can't believe she's 90. And she can still talk and see and hear (though not very well) and walk (with a walker) and make her own meals, and dress herself, and play scrabble. In other words, she has aged very well. I'm sorry that I'm not able to be there for her birthday party.

Each person at the party is supposed to give a little speech about how much they love her, or share a memory or something. My mom emailed me last night to ask if Art or I had anything to contribute, but alas, the power went out (which is a story for another paragraph), so I didn't see the email until after church today, so I didn't get an opportunity to come up with anything.

My grandma is so cute. She has written us a couple of times, and her letters are like my blogs: chronicling the every-day stuff. Except her letters are even more....mundane? That sounds like a bad thing. I can't think of a better word than "mundane" right now. You guys can suggest a better synonym.

Anyway, her letters will say stuff like, "I called your mom yesterday to ask about the vitamins, but she wasn't home, because she went to the chiropractor, so I had to try again the next day." Or, "I saw a robin today for the first time this spring, so I think I will go to the store with Auntie Lorna and buy some flowers and plant them." Except, she'll say these things in the same paragraph, with no break. It always takes me a second to realize that she's changing the subject. It's cute.

So: the power went out last night. And everybody is talking about it. Sometimes, I forget that I live on the west coast. Or rather, I forget that the west coast is different from the prairies. Apparently it's really uncommon for them to have upper 80's-90's temps, high humidity, and thunderstorms. I mean, I knew they had LESS than the prairies, but they're acting like it only happens once a decade!

We had a thunderstorm last night, and I loved it. It wasn't even that violent. Compared to what I'm used to. It was pretty good though, considering the power was out for two hours. And since we couldn't do anything (because it was late and dark) we went to sleep. At 8:30pm!!! What are we, old?? Yeah.

Of course, earlier in the day, when the power was still on, and it was still light outside, I decided it was a good time to organize and calculate 5 months of receipts. Yeah. I sure know how to party on a Saturday.

Today is a much more beautiful day. We all went to the beach, and I finally went swimming! And now I have sand/salt in my hair. It feels great. Not. I didn't roll around in the sand or anything! I was just in the ocean! But the ocean has sand. And I forgot. Because I haven't been in the ocean since 8th grade, when we went to Mexico........man, I want to go back so bad. That was a great vacation...

No word on the new place yet. Things seem to be going pretty quickly. That place has been empty for a while, so I think they're just as eager to move us in as we are. Still praying that they give us the okay BEFORE Thursday. Preferably no later than Wednesday morning. Which reminds me, I should get packing. I packed, like, two things on Thursday. Puzzles and games, and........something else? No wait.........I don't think I actually packed anything else.

I didn't realize that packing involves a lot of reorganizing. A LOT. And I like reorganizing. Except when I'm on a time crunch, and I just want to pack stuff away. But I want the same type of stuff to all go in the same boxes. That makes sense, right? But it's just not that easy. Also, we don't have any boxes right now. Mari and I picked up a lot, but they're all over at her place. I'll bring some home tonight.

The other thing that makes it a bit more difficult is that basically everything in this house is Art's. So I can't just do whatever I want with it. Believe me, I've tried. He doesn't like it when I do that. *sheepish grin*

Well, I'm gonna go wash the sand/salt out of my hair now. And then see if I can reorganize anything else, to make future packing a little easier. Fun.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I enjoyed your long blog. Thunderstorm...hmmm we actually haven't had a lot of those this season. Cool that you could experience one on the west coast. Grandma's party went well. She thought we had overdone it, but really how many people see their 90th birthday in relatively good health! When it comes to packing, either Art will have to pitch in with his stuff, or let you take charge (which could be dangerous from his perspective). We pray you'll hear sooner rather than later about "your" new place. Love you, Mom

Kat said...

Try a power outage that lasts nearly 24 hrs! ;)

I remember at PLBC when we had that one thunderstorm and you & I, being the prairie girls we are, were so excited we stood out in the middle of the field with an umbrella, until one of us is like, "Why the heck are we holding an umbrella during a thunderstorm?"

Holy cow, that was a long sentence.

Callie said...

Good luck on all that packing!