Guess what I did today: I made a steak lunch for Art, Wayne, and myself, and it was GREAT. I think I can check off Goal #88 from my list of goals.
Think that cooking a good steak is hard? It's actually not. Believe me, I did it, and I'm no cook. The preparation and cooking of a steak is actually pretty easy and quick. You just have to plan ahead.
First, you have to know your steak.
- What part of the cow does it come from? That will determine how tough or tender it is. (When you buy your steak, it should say on the label.)
- How thick is it? This will determine how long you have to cook it.
You have to know your tastes.
- Do you prefer rare, medium, or well? A little internet research will tell you how long to cook your particular steak to desired done-ness.
Know your cooking device.
- Are you grilling it on the BBQ? The steaks I made today were seared in a pan on the stove top. Our stove is also temperamental, so when I was told to cook it on high, I chose medium high instead. (You can cook a steak quickly using either of these methods, but if you want to broil it as well, you'll have to double your total cooking time.)
Once you know those things, the rest is fairly simple. Here are a few basic tips that I think should apply to every steak.
1. Marinade the thing (in whatever you like). This is where the planning ahead part comes in. I think they should marinade AT LEAST two hours. The ones we had for lunch were marinading overnight. My friend once grilled the most amazing steaks, and she let them marinade for four days.
2. Let them sit out for 30 minutes before you cook them, so they have a chance to reach room temperature (or close to it). I'm told that if you start cooking them when they're too cold, they'll burn more easily.
3. Oil the steak, not the pan. The oil in a hot pan will burn, but if it's on the steak, you're less likely to mess it up. This is also when you would apply seasoning (but not salt. Salt dries it out.)
4. When you turn your steak, use tongs. You don't want to pierce the meat, because then the juices will drain out.
5. When it's done cooking, let it sit for a few minutes. You want the juices to redistribute before you cut into it. Less mess, better taste.
Toss a salad, and enjoy! I've only cooked steak twice, and already I'm getting the hang of it. You can do it, I have faith in you.
3 comments:
Jenene I am so proud of you. Even I am somewhat intimidated by cooking steaks. You did a great job by the sound of things. And how are your tulips doing? Love you.
Wow! Good job! I have never even attempted steaks!
Now I'm hungry... I think you need to get over to MN and cook me a steak!
Post a Comment