March 9, 2007

One MOMENT Please!

These past couple of months have revealed to me something about myself that does not please me; an incompetence of sorts. It's small, it may not seem to be a big deal, and when I think about it, it's downright silly! But it still bugs me, mostly because I cannot figure out for the life of me why this is such a problem.

For some reason, I cannot (properly) say the words "One moment please."

And now you are all thinking, "Jenene, are you serious? This is your big problem?" I know!! They are seemingly easy words, and when I practice saying them to myself, they come out just fine! Oh, and by the way, I am a Receptionist. My primary job is to answer the phone, and transfer those calls to the correct people. And we get a lot of phone calls.

So I have to say those horrible words hundreds of times every day. Can you see how this is a bit of a dilemma for me? I know I speak quickly, so I've tried to slow down a bit, but still, those words insist on tumbling out of my mouth in a most unprofessional manner.

It usually sounds more like, "One mment please" or "One momeh please" or "One momn please" or "One mome please" or "Wemomen please", and the worst by far: "One mmm please." I mean, come ON!!! Why is it so ridiculously difficult for me to say 3 simple words?! 97% of the time it won't come out the way I would like it to. I think about it every time I answer a phone call. (And remember, I answer a lot of phone calls in one day). So I think about it a lot. A LOT. *SIGH*

But I will keep on persevering (not like I have a choice) and every call that I answer is another opportunity for me to say it right; but hold that thought, I'm getting a call, one moment please...



1 comment:

A-Train said...

hahahaha clever sign-off!