February 7, 2009

They Say The Third Time's A Charm

So Thursday. Thursday evening was my second attempt at Girly Movie Night. My first attempt failed miserably.

We rescheduled, I cleaned the house, made sure that Art wasn't going to be around, invited the girls over, cooked some pizzas and cupcakes, and prepared for a fun evening. Finally.

Mari arrived first, but forgot the movies, so she went back home to get them. Sozan and Wayne arrived about 45 minutes later than they had planned. And notice I said "Wayne." Yup, he was there. With a project to keep him busy. A woodworking project. He was sanding a long plank into a specific shape. On my living room floor. DURING the movie. (Oh, and by the time we actually got the movie started, Art was home).

So we watched the movie as best we could over the noise of Wayne's project, enduring silly remarks from both boys.

Can you guess what happened next? As soon as the movie ended, Joe arrived, and the guys popped in Live Free or Die Hard. Perfect. I can't think of a better way to follow up a Keira Knightley 18th century period drama than with an unrealistic amount of car crashes, explosions, and people constantly getting shot, or shot at. It was bliss. (You do realize I'm being incredibly sarcastic, right?)

There was one small highlight to the evening though. Mari and Sozan taught me how to knit! Sozan brought over an extra pair of chopsticks (because she doesn't have any knitting needles), an extra ball of yarn (a beautiful creamy white yarn, and very soft) and got me started.

Of course, when the guys crashed our girly movie night yet again, we moved our little knitting party to the hallway behind the living room, turned on the bathroom light so we could see better, and carried on, amidst the sounds of violence and testosterone.

It's been almost two days now, and I'm am slowly but steadily on my way to making a scarf. I'm quite proud of myself.

We have already started talking about our next girly movie night. But next time, I'm going to be adamant: NO. BOYS. ALLOWED!!!

3 comments:

Libbers said...

You need a pink curtain in the entrances to the living room with a sign on it that says "if you enter here, it means you're a pretty lady with estrogen and ovaries."


However... in your case, even that might not work.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenene I can't believe your misfortune in planning the "girlie night". Maybe the boys could plan to be at Joe's the next time, but then again maybe not. I shake my head in disbelief. I must say you seem to be a good sport about all of this.

Anonymous said...

I know this isn't funny, cause I would have been TICKED, but I'm giggling. I'm not sure if it's at the sanding on the living room floor, the appearance of the testosterone movie or the knitting in the hallway by light of the bathroom. :) It's just a really funny picture. Glad you learned to knit, though! You can send me scarves if you want. I love scarves!