For a few days now, Art has been saying "we'll do it tomorrow" about a few tasks that I have been DYING to do. But, I am at the mercy of the people with the vehicles. And drivers licenses. But for once, that tomorrow actually came true! Today! As in, Art said yesterday, "we'll do it tomorrow" and we did it today, and today is (was?) yesterday's tomorrow. Does your brain hurt yet? Good. Moving on.
The day started out normal. We went to church. Then we went to Subway for lunch with our Subway points card, all excited to get free food, and it turns out that we DON'T have tons of points on the card. There's a grand total of one penny on that card. Art's mom has some explaining to do.
We ended up paying for our lunch, which I wasn't really happy about, but the guy apologized a bunch of times, and the food was good in every way. The Subway that is just across the border is my favorite Subway. I'm seriously considering working there when I get my greencard.
We took our sandwiches over to Wayne and Sozan's, had a quick lunch, and then high-tailed it home to pack the bed of the truck with all our garbage and get to the dump before it closed. Fun times. I'm seriously considering NOT working there when I get my greencard. I pray it never becomes my last resort.
Ooh, we also did our taxes today! Well, we started the process, anyway. And I don't know why I used an exclamation point, because it wasn't exciting at all. It's a complicated process, even when you have some guy at H&R Block do it for you (who, by the way, looks almost exactly like that stapler guy from Office Space. Except this guy isn't socially inept. Just nerdy-looking).
Anyway, we still have to call in a bunch of information before we can file. And also? It seemed to take forever for him to decide how to classify me. Because I'm a dependent. But we're not filing jointly, because I didn't have an American income. And I'm a non-resident alien. Which is different from a lawful permanent resident. And I moved here halfway through the year. And I had an income in Canada before that.
Apparently, he had several options, and they all make a significant difference as to how much we get back. It doesn't make any sense to me at all, but it doesn't have to. Because that's his job.
I learned that there are certain H&R Block offices around here that can process Canadian income taxes as well, and I'm very relieved. Even if it's expensive, it's totally worth it. I mean, I tried to do it myself last year, and I was hopelessly confused, and I made a huge mistake (which turned out to be a good thing), but I don't want to attempt it this year.
How do you fill out your form if you only had income for half the year, and then you got married and moved to a different country where you suddenly have no income at all? Kat? Do you know the answer to this?
Enough about that headache. Our final task of the day was grocery shopping. It's amazing how much you can spend, even when you're only buying stuff you truly need. Okay, so buying coconut milk wasn't a matter of life and death, but we're trying to eat healthy, while also finding ways to make it taste good.
I hate money.
I am determined to clean my entire house today and tomorrow, and keep it clean for the weekend. Because this weekend is the fight of all fights. Followed by the Super Bowl. Both of which are happening at our house.
Well, we're watching both events at our house. It's not like two of the greatest fighters of all time are coming over and duking it out in our living room, and then next day, two NFL teams are doing the same. Which would be way cool. But really crowded.
Stay tuned for more episodes of my housewife life!
1 comment:
That was a nice long "newsy" blog. I like it. It's good that you got some stuff done. As far as filing income tax, you would file a Canadian one for your income before you moved. After that I'm not sure since you haven't had US income. Once I have all your slips I'll send everything to you, unless you want me to do your Canadian income tax.
By the way...in case you don't check your e-mails, I sent you one today.
Love you
Post a Comment