April 12, 2007

More Goals!

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I haven't posted much this past week. I like to blog while I'm at work (I don't know why), but we just did month-end, so I was super busy. No time to blog. And then I've been ill. But now month-end is all done (for me at least), and I'm feeling better. So now I have time again!

I think my favorite post of all time (since I started blogging) is the List of Goals For My Life. I'm really quite proud of it. Unfortunately, I add goals faster than I can accomplish them. I just added 3 new ones.

However, I also recently accomplished another goal! Ever since I was a little girl, I have always wanted to sponsor a child. I remember watching World Vision, and feeling sorry for the children who didn't have enough to eat or wear. My mom has sponsored a couple of kids over the years, through various organizations, but I wanted to sponsor one myself, with my own money.

In church last week a woman was talking about the burden that God has been growing in her heart for the impoverished children of this world. I only remember one thing that she said: "I could no longer feed my children 3 times a day and tuck them into their warm beds at night, knowing that there are thousands of children out there who don't have even those simple comforts, and that I'm not doing anything about it."

I thought to myself, "I can do something. I can't help thousands, but I can help one." So jumped up from my seat even before she was finished talking and went out of the sanctuary and into the foyer, where there was a table with 12 children's pictures on it. I slowly started looking over them and praying, "God, which one?"

God continues to be so cool about how He works things out. Each envelope had a window through which the child's picture would show, and beneath the picture was their name, their birthday and where they were from.

Now I have always wanted to go to South America, and I don't even know why it holds such appeal for me. But I thought, even if I never get the chance to go myself, I can send a part of myself there. I can give someone my financial support and more importantly, my love, and I can change their life.

So I looked at the locations beneath each picture. Most of them said Mexico or Guatemala. Central America, it's close, but I wanted South America. The last picture I came across sat kind of crooked inside the envelope, so I couldn't see the birthday or where the child was from. I lifted part of the paper away from the window to get a better look, and behold: It read Peru. The only one from South America!

Plus, the photo was of a little girl looking back at me, and I had wanted to sponsor a girl, though I would have taken a boy if that's where God had led me. Here's another cool connection: her birthday is on my sister and brother-in-law's anniversary, Dec. 17.

So everybody, meet Jazmin.



She is 5 years old, she lives in Carmen Alto, Peru (northeast of the capitol of Lima). She lives with her parents and one other sibling. Her father is sometimes employed as a labourer, making the equivalent of $86 a month. She doesn't got to school right now (but that will all change).

She is a girl after my own heart: she loves playing house and playing with dolls. And it's so amazing how much $35 a month will change her life. It doesn't seem like much, but it's going to make such a difference. I'm very thankful that God brought her into my life. I don't even know her, she's just a picture on a card, but she has stolen my heart.

2 comments:

Elleah said...

So cool! You're going to make such a difference in that little girl's life. Way to be obedient.

Roo said...

YEAH!!! that is really REALLY awesome.