April 15, 2007

Connecting the Dots. And Some Thoughts.

I can't remember where I heard this, or when, or who said it, or what kind of setting I was in, but I remember it was so simple and profound, and it really changed the way I related to God.

"God knows all. He knew your whole life before it began, every step you would take, good or bad. He knew when He created humans that they would screw up and turn away from Him. He knows that you are born into an imperfect world, and that you are not perfect all by yourself.

Therefore, you cannot disappoint God. He is never surprised when you make a mistake. He does not have false expectations about you. He doesn't expect you to be perfect. You cannot surprise Him or disappoint Him."


I am paraphrasing a little bit, but that was the basic message, and the way I understood it. I always had this view of God that He was disappointed when I fell in that same old place I always fall, and so I never wanted to go to Him and confess.

Realizing that He isn't disappointed because He doesn't expect me to not screw up basically changed my life. It's still hard sometimes to remember that God isn't disappointed, because I've been thinking that way for so long, but it's certainly getting better.

And He is faithful in showing me that He loves me and forgives me, because even when I've turned away He still blesses me and works through me. Even when I've not been faithful to Him, He is always faithful to me.


Something I heard in church this morning further clarified this point: "God has no condemnation on anything I have ever done. I have been covered, cleansed and forgiven by the blood of the Lamb. Therefore, when God looks at me, He sees Jesus."

When God looks at me, He sees Jesus.

Incredible. And wonderful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!

-Elleah