October 22, 2009

A Nice Rambling Post, For a Change

I've been taking an unplanned break from the internet for the last little while. Well, not a complete break, but I've been spending a LOT less time on blogger and facebook and such.

Lately I've been listening to Mark Driscoll sermons online. Specifically his Proverbs series from 2001/2002. Specifically the sermons on how to be a Proverbs 31 woman. Women and Femininity, Women and Homebuilding, Women and Motherhood...it is really good stuff. And to make it so perfectly complete, while I'm listening, I'm also knitting. :)

Btw, just in case anyone thinks those sermons seem sexist or demeaning, just do me (and you) a favor by listening to the them before you pass judgement. He explains how a woman has unique gifts that provide her with endless opportunities for ministry, both to her family, and to the world. She is anything but a mindless slave to endless chores. And these sermons are no guilt trip. I feel built up, and inspired to be the kind of woman that Proverbs (and Ruth and Esther and Song of Solomon) talk about.

And speaking of knitting, my mom wanted me to say what it is I'm making. And unfortunately for you, I'm not telling. :) It's a surprise. No I'm not pregnant. I'll tell you all about it when I'm done.

I realize that I don't talk about work much. Work has been really slow, and I have a lot of down time, but because of the big changes that are coming up, I still have a job. We are being switched over to a new database at the end of November, and my training finally just started.


There are some really good things about it, there are a few bad things about it, and in our department, we can definitely see how this new database could create some huge problems for us, and our customers. Which means that next summer, we will have more work to do than ever.

Our work will increase then, and the work we have now will take a bit longer with the new database, so those two factors combined mean job security for me. I'm still considered a seasonal, but my boss knows she will need my help once the switch is made. Once she can actually prove that things take longer, and therefore she needs more staff, I will be hired as full-time. And I'm praying that it happens before Christmas.

So if the change will potentially make more problems, then why are we making the switch? Well, we don't have a choice. We have a parent company that made this decision a few years ago, and all the rest of the companies have been using the new database for quite some time. Our company is the last to switch over.


And everybody is making a huge effort to keep spirits high, and encouraging everyone to see the positive, because as we all know, you attitude alone could be the difference between success and failure.

I'm not feeling the stress just yet. My training just started, and it was only for a few hours. Next week will be our department's in-depth training. I'm excited, because I'll be gaining some new responsibilities as well. And I suspect the change might be more easy for me because I haven't been here that long, so I'm not super attached to our current database.

Anyway, enough about work. The other day, I spoke about not having a camera, and for the most part, I don't miss it too much. Except it's Fall now. And it's so beautiful out here! I just want to take a million pictures of all the trees, wearing brilliant oranges and golds and reds. The trees are shedding their leaves pretty quickly now, but the sidewalks wear them just as nicely. It makes my bus ride to work so much more enjoyable.


I'm trying to drink it all in, because before long, the trees will be bare, and the skies will always be grey, and there won't be anything to look at, unless it snows. Which isn't likely. It snowed last year, but that's pretty unusual.

Well, this post has progressed from cheerful to downright depressing, so I think I will sign off. It's time to get back to the clickitty-clacking of my knitting needles. Which they don't actually do. If you're knitting and it's noisy, you're probably doing it wrong.

2 comments:

Callie said...

Your knitting talk makes me smile! Adn isn't it sad, all the leaves ARE gone here - and there IS snow on the ground. But it's kind of cozy too, I guess.

Mom said...

I enjoyed you ramblings. It blesses me to know you are listening to sermons while knitting. There is so much "garbage" out there that we get exposed to (some of it by choice)! Glad to hear you still have a job. I hope to talk to you Saturday. Love you Mom.