August 8, 2009

City Life

So apparently I can read other blogs, but I can't comment on them. Here is what I wanted to say:

Elleah - I love the new pictures of Kiera! (As if I would ever not love them.) Her hair is getting so long! Also, I had a dream about you last night that you had a boy, and you named him John. Also, Kiera was like, 3 years old, and speaking in full sentences. So my dream wasn't that accurate. But I'm still convinced you're having a boy.

Ruth: Your post about Jerusalem was beautiful. I got a little choked up. "My savior walked these streets!" That would be just the most incredible experience.

Callie: I am not shocked at all that you love country music. I am very glad. Because I love it too, for the EXACT same reasons. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Moving on.

So we have been here in our new place just over a week. Do I love it yet? Honestly, no. I really loved our other place. It was basically perfect, except for the fact that it wasn't in Bellingham. Which is why we are here in Bellingham.

I will tell you what I DO like about this new place though: I already mentioned the fact that it's in a city, which means it's close to everything. And I can take a bus to and from work. Very convenient. About the house iteself (duplex, actually): it has a huge garage, which is good, because we can't fit everything from two households in the house. So a lot of it is going in the garage. But there's still enough room to set it up for working out.

And even though we are 4 people in a 3 bedroom house, Art and I get our own bathroom, and it's a bigger bathroom than our old one. More counter space, more under-the-sink space, and it isn't crowded when both of us are in there (our old bathroom was seriously tiny).

And, of course, there's the saving money part. I definitely like that. I do miss the ocean, but we are close to 2 lakes, and we've been to one of them already.

Now I'll tell you what I don't like about the place: the fact that it's in a city means it's not that quiet. Our immediate neighbors don't make a lot of noise, at least not at night, which I am VERY thankful for. But there are still others in the area who have no sense of "people are actually asleep at 1 AM, maybe I shouldn't scream and shout and play my music insanely loud." Weeknights, weekends, it's all the same to those people. I'm hoping this will change when school starts again.

And then there are the dogs. Our neighbors dog is pretty annoying during the day, but at night, it's someone else's dog who decides that night time is the right time to start up a lenthy, uninterrupted monologue. Which makes me wonder about their owners. I mean, if I had a dog, and I knew it was outside, making a racket, I would take it INSIDE. Because it's MY dog, and even if it keeps me up, it's my responsibility to make sure it doesn't bother the whole neighborhood.

Apparentley, other people don't feel this way. They're lucky that I don't know who they are, because I would find myself quite tempted to give them a piece of my mind. And maybe a piece of my fist too. I'm kidding. About the first part.

So yeah. It's going to take a while to get used to the night time noises. But that's pretty much the only truly negative thing. Oh, and there's this cat somewhere that sounds like it's being tortured, and again, only at night. Every night I pray that it dies. Because the sounds coming from that cat give me the heebie-jeebies.

So that's how it's going so far. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as unpacking goes. If I can manage to tear myself away from this computer, I think I can finally tackle our bedroom. It's just barely liveable.

The kitchen has been done for a while, since I unpacked it first. Yes, I did it all, by myself, because I'm a bit of a control freak that way. I wanted to make sure that we weren't trying to put too much stuff in there that we didn't need (because it's a tiny kitchen). Also, I wanted the whole layout to make sense. Pots and pans go in the Lazy Susan beside the stove, because that makes sense. Stuff like that.

The living room is almost finished. We get our internet and cable hooked up next week (yes, right now we're technically stealing our neighbors internet. It's only temporary). Our bathroom is done. And the other bedrooms are up to other peoples. Those are their private spaces. If they never unpack them, I do not care. As long as the mess doesn't spill out into the living room.

Today I've got the place all to myself, for basically the entire day. Which means I can get a lot done. So I should get to work. Here I go.

6 comments:

Callie said...

Our neighborhood dogs all howl at the same time at night. It's like they're all saying goodnight to each other. It's kind of eery-sounding actually. I don't understand how their owners can sleep. Thankfully our dogs don't participate in the nightly round of goodnights, probably because we don't let them!
I'm glad you are getting all settled in! And it's nice to know that you are a fellow country-music-lover! I can't help myself, the songs just stick in my head! I like it.

Mom said...

Hi Jenene, Ooooh it's so good to hear from you again, well I didn't actually hear your voice but you know what I mean. Hopefully you can get used to all the neighborhood noises, if not you'll have to resort to ear plugs. Hopefully Art and Joe will think twice before getting their own dog. Besides the noise it apparently costs quite a bit to own a dog...dog food, vet bills, etc. Glad you don't have to worry about getting rides to work now. Looking forward to actually hearing your voice next week. Till then, Love you guys. Mom

La'el said...

Haha, that cat probably is being tortured... male cats have barbs on their, umm, maleness, and when it enters and then exits the femaleness of another cat, it hurts like heck, thus the tortured cat sounds... and also thus, the sounds happen only at night, when cats prowl and mate. =:^)

Elleah said...

Wow, that was an interesting piece of info about cats from "La'el." At least you don't have a baby screaming all night?! I am REALLY praying this baby is a good sleeper and not a screamer 24/7 like Kiera was. Oh, and John is not on our list of baby names. I've had several dreams that we're having a boy and then I recently had a dream that we're having a girl, so now I have no idea! Can you tell me what your new number is and when a good time to call is? I don't think we've actually talked yet this year!

Kat said...

You'll get used to city life. I used to live downtown, and it took awhile to adjust to the constant traffic & sirens, but after a bit I didn't even notice.

Roo said...

xo