June 19, 2011

A Series of Events - Tale #4: My Birthday

Once upon a time, on May 28, I had a birthday. I turned 26.

And before I go any further, let's get these pictures out of the way. Because these are the only two pictures I took. How seriously lame is that? We had this whole weekend thing with our friends at Art's parents' place in Oak Harbor, and the only time I pulled out my camera is when she was sleeping face down on a giant pillow in a sleeper bag thing.




(Btw, we never put her to sleep on her tummy. This was Art's mom's doing, and it was perfectly safe, because the pillow was too stiff for her to suffocate. Plus she knows how to lift her head. Plus we kept checking on her. Plus she didn't stay asleep like this for very long.)

So. Wayne and Sozan, and Art and Sophia and I all went down to Oak Harbor, to Art's parents' place on Friday, May 27. We all stayed the night, and hung out there for most of Saturday.

Art's mom already had a ton of food cooked, and she cooked even more the next day. We watched a movie or two, and a lot of TV (especially Mythbusters). The weather was beautiful, so we spent some time just sitting out in their yard, enjoying the sun.

I didn't sleep well, so the next day, while everyone went shopping, I napped with Sophia. I think I was a bit of a party pooper. However, it gave Art's mom and Sozan an opportunity to buy my birthday gifts. I got clothes, which I was thrilled about. Especially because they fit! I wasn't there to try them on, so they guessed, and got it right! So now I have a pair of capris, a tank top with a knit vest, and a matching purse!

It was pretty low key, which was just fine. Going out to Oak Harbor was as much going out as I wanted to do.

After dinner was over, and after one more episode of Mythbusters, we left Art's parents' house, and went to see Wayne and Sozan's uncle, who lived in the next town just north of Oak Harbor. We weren't there for very long, but the little time we did spend there was a lot of fun. He's already super cool, and bonus: he loves babies! You just don't expect a 50-something year old guy with three grown kids to be a baby person. I'm not even a baby person!

Anyway, he lent us the first six DVDs of the Harry Potter series. I hadn't seen any of them before. Not because I'm opposed to them. I just never got into them. But the last Harry Potter movie is coming out in July, and Wayne's uncle wants us all to go see it together. Which means I would have to watch all the other ones first. So we took the DVDs, chatted for a couple of hours, said our good-byes, and promised to return soon.

And that was my fairly uneventful, photo-less birthday! I have to say, it didn't really feel like my birthday. It didn't even feel like May! The weather has been less summery than we would like, so it just seemed weird that I was having my birthday! Hopefully the weather smartens up and we can experience a true summer.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Sounds like a great birthday to me!
I've seen all the HP movies - I swore I'd never watch them, but Chelsea had the first 5 on DVD and used to watch them a lot :) So I started getting into the story and now I can't wait til the new one comes out! ha!