Here's a little marriage advice for all you non-single-ladies out there. Because we could all use at least one more piece of advice.
Don't ask your husband to do something for you while he's 65% asleep, unless you don't want it to get done. Because in his not-so-awake state, he either won't hear you, or he won't remember. Which is fine if you don't actually want him to do it. Then go right ahead. Tell him, at 7 AM, to do something for you at 4 PM. I promise you, it won't even register in his brain.
Say, for example, you gave your house key to a friend so that friend could take care of your mail for you, while you are on vacation. And then you get back from said vacation a day early, which means you won't have your key for at least another day, because your friend doesn't know you're back yet. So you don't have a house key, and you're going to work, so you kindly ask your husband (who is quite groggy and thoroughly enjoying his pillow/bed/blankets/dreams) to make sure the door is unlocked when you get home from work.
Guess what happens when you get home from work: yup, you guessed it. Nobody is home, and door is locked, and you can't get inside.
Here's a second piece of advice: if you insist on asking your husband, while he's practically asleep, to leave the door unlocked for you 9 hours later, make sure you have a book with you, and something to munch on, so that you can spend the next hour on your front porch with relative ease. You can satisfy your hunger pangs a little, and you have something to occupy yourself with, instead of staring out at your neighborhood, wondering if those people looking at you think you're a stalker.
Last piece of advice: when your husband finally does come home, and says to you, sheepishly, "Honey, I'll unlock the door for you now", make sure he also says something along the lines of, "And I'm going to make you dinner" before you forgive him and give him a kiss and compliment him on his new haircut.
Not that this happened to me today or anything like that. ;)
I promise I will blog about my trip. We've only been home for 24 hours, so there is still a lot of unpacking to do. And we just filled our house with groceries again. And I've been catching up on blog reading, whenever Art is not simultaneously begging to get onto the internet that we've missed so much.
I won't promise pictures right away, or even within the next week, because the pictures are on other peoples cameras. But I swear, someday, you WILL see those pictures. I will try my darned hardest to get them on this computer.
4 comments:
I'm not even going to give my wife keys in the first place!
Oh that's awful that you were locked out! But it makes for a great blogging story! *grin*
Jenene, you should seriously be a writer...I thoroughly enjoyed the way you put your little "locked out" episode! Just a touch of sarcasm??! Anyway, glad you got through all of that and can return to somewhat of a normal life. If I don't get home too late tonight, I'll give you a call. If that doesn't work then hopefully we can talk on Sat. Love you, Mom.
Where did you get your new blog background? That was a funny story, although maybe not funny for you.
Post a Comment