...then what is a nightmare?!
I'm sure every bride can attest to this: at some point between getting engaged, and the big day, you have at least one (if not more) dream about your wedding; and it's almost never a good dream. Why does that happen anyway?
A lot of people would probably chalk it up to stress, but what if that bride isn't stressed? Why do we dream bad things about our wedding? Why can't it ever be a good dream? Should I start this blog off with a whole bunch of questions??????
So I've had two such dreams. The first one was not long after we got engaged. Wanna hear about it? Good, because I'm gonna tell you anyway.
The only thing I remember about this dream is that I'm holding onto my daddy's arm, and he's starting to walk me down the aisle. But I've only taken about two steps into the sanctuary, and I realize, to my complete horror, that I had forgotten to choose some music, so there is absolutely NO MUSIC playing as I'm walking! (That actually happened to a bride recently, and obviously, they still got married. It's not the end of the world).
But in my dream I was horrified. I was even more horrified to see that people didn't even care: they were still milling around and talking! Nobody had taken their seats yet, and I was so shocked and embarrassed and hurt. Then I woke up, and I was very relieved.
But last night. Last night was not some short little dream about no music. My dream last night went on and on, and so many terrible things happened, and it was truly a nightmare. Although, as the day has gone by, it's becoming more and more funny to me. So get ready to hear about my crazy wedding dream. Keep in mind that my dreams pretty much never EVER make sense.
The wedding ceremony went just fine. The dream really begins after Art and I have walked back down the aisle as husband and wife. As soon as we get to the back of the church, I let go of his hand, turn around, and march up to the front again. I grab a mic, and I start calling out people's names, so that they can come up and I can hand them a thank-you card. (Weird, I know). I hold out a card, but even before I say the name on it, someone sitting in the front gets up and takes it, thinking it's for herself.
I was a little bit taken aback, and embarrassed, because I hadn't even invited her to the wedding, so she was never going to get a card, but I couldn't very well take it back from her either. Also, the card she had taken was actually for a celebrity who had attended our wedding. So now this celebrity wasn't going to get a card, and that was very, very bad. (Did I mention my dreams don't make any sense?)
Then somebody else that I didn't invite to the wedding randomly comes up to me and gives me a hug. I actually went to high school with her, and I really like her, but I'm not close to her, so she wasn't invited. But she was there, and she walked up to me while I'm standing at the front, handing out cards, and gives me a big hug.
And keeps hugging me. And hugging me. And she's crying because I'm leaving. And I'm slightly touched, and then I'm slightly creeped out because she won't let go. I start trying to convince her that she'll be okay, and that she has to stop hugging me.
Then suddenly, I'm in the building where we are going to have our pictures taken, and have the reception. In reality, this building isn't terribly huge. The main features are their ballrooms/conference rooms, and the large atrium they recently built. But in my dream, the building is huge, with many huge rooms and halls.
So I'm there, running around, trying to find the wedding party, and my family, because we are late for starting pictures. I finally find the wedding party, lounging at a few tables in the reception room.
One of my bridesmaids pulls me aside and informs me that, apparently, I was so eager to give out the cards at the ceremony, that I forgot to kiss my husband! You know, when the officiant says, "You may now kiss the bride," and then the happy couple kisses. Yeah, I had failed to do that. I had completely forgotten!
I felt TERRIBLE, so I rushed up to Art, apologizing, begging him to forgive me, and pleading with him to kiss me right then and there, to make up for the ceremony. But he was MAD. So that didn't go over well.
I was so upset that I ended up driving home. I went down to my room and started sobbing at how the whole day was going so far, and then I realized another awful thing: I was wearing boots under my dress! My winter boots!! So I took those off to put on the flip flops I had always intended to wear, and I looked at my feet and hands then: I had also forgotten to get a manicure and a pedicure, so now everyone would be staring at my very ugly finger nails and toe nails!
I got even more upset, and then my cell phone rang. (I don't actually have a cell phone.) I answered it, and it was Art. He said he was looking for me, because everyone was ready for pictures. Then he asked if was going to be okay, and I thought about it, and then I said, "Yeah, I guess I will be okay. Yeah, I think I'll really be okay!"
I was going to be okay because I had started to wake up and realized that it was just a dream. When I was fully awake, I just lay there and didn't know whether to laugh or cry or turn over and go to sleep. I kind of felt like crying, probably because I had been crying in my dream, but I ended up going back to sleep. It was still quite early!
So is that not the most ridiculous dream? I wouldn't say that I'm stressed right now. I was stressed a little while ago, but now that the invitations are done, I can relax again. And I can safely say that I'm not worried about any of those things happening. Which is why it's probably alright to dream about them. If I had a bad dream about something that is truly worrying me, that would only make it worse!
So, should I end this blog off with a question?
2 comments:
oh my. :) you definitely have a case of "bridal pox" (kinda like chicken pox but without the scratchy red marks all over your skin. ) i think it is normal because i suffered from this myself. but then again -- many would contest that I am not so very normal....
hmmm...
i think stuff like that happens because it is very much in your heart and always at the front of your thoughts. when i was pregnant with shiloh i used to have the most BIZAARE dreams. :)
Well, I don't know that I'm all that normal either. ;)
See, I am not even close to having kids, but I have had plenty of pregnancy and birthing dreams. So what does that mean???......
Post a Comment