Well, once upon a time I saw a movie called "Picture Perfect." It stars Jennifer Aniston, it's kind of old, I wouldn't recommend that you see it, but this is where it all started. In the movie, she goes to a friend's wedding and catches the bride's bouquet, and gets her picture taken with the guy who catches the bride's garter.
She keeps the picture and contacts the guy and asks him to be part of a little scheme she's cooking up. She needs to pretend she's engaged or something, and I don't remember why, but she uses the picture as proof.
Things get more complicated, because they have to start being seen together, so then they have to make up all sorts of details about their pretend relationship. But he has never liked this scheme, and of course, he starts falling for her for real.
At one point they are talking about their childhood experiences, and she remembers that, once, when she was a little girl, she had very badly wanted a Cinderella watch. She gets a surprise from him the next day when he mails her a small box, and inside is a Cinderella watch. And of course, she realizes that she loves him, and they live happily ever after and so forth.
So anyway. It got me thinking. I realized that when I look back on my childhood, and at the toys or books that have sentimental value to me, the one I have always wanted was If I Ran The Zoo by Dr. Seuss. I remember reading it when I was 8 (or something) and laughing and laughing because the names of the made-up animals were SO funny.
And, just like the movie, I liked the idea of having my true love buy me the book, instead of me buying it for myself. How romantic. And so, Art did just that! He bought me the book, and now I am the proud owner of the object of my childhood affections.

So, now it's your turn. What book/toy/object from your childhood holds great sentimental value for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment