October 7, 2011

A Follow-Up to Yesterday's Post

After I published the post below, I put up a notification on Facebook about it, because some of my friends (who do not have blogs of their own) read my blog. My friend Libby left this comment (on Facebook), and I thought it was important to address it:

"For those of us unaccustomed to these things [the world of cloth diapering and ammonia problems], can you explain what that is and why it's a bad thing? Besides the smell?"

Libby, I'm glad you asked, because now I get to play Teacher and give you all a mini science lesson on pee! I sure know how to kick off the weekend, don't I? Nothin' but fun times around here...

Anyway.

The reason humans urinate and defecate is to rid the body of waste. The components of waste are toxic, and if the body did not have a method of getting rid of these toxins, our bodies would be greatly harmed, and we would die.

One of the toxins that needs to be eliminated is nitrogen. When nitrogen bonds with hydrogen, Ammonia is created. Since peeing out straight ammonia would damage the urethra, it is converted into Urea, and that is where we get urine from.

So, a baby urinates into a diaper. That diaper needs to be cleaned. How do you clean something? You use water and soap to break down the substances so they can be eliminated.

When the urine in a cloth diaper is broken down, ammonia is released. If the diaper is not properly cleaned, the ammonia can be left behind.

Ammonia is caustic (or corrosive). It irritates and burns skin. Ammonia in a diaper will quickly cause an extremely painful red and blistering diaper rash.

So that's why I'm attacking the ammonia problem like a crazy mad woman. I need to save my baby's bum!

Callie wanted to know if ammonia will ruin cloth diapers. No, ammonia will not ruin cloth diapers. And remember, not only is the ammonia issue solvable, it's preventable! Rinse well for happy diapers and happier baby bottoms.

No comments: