July 9, 2011

Hey Look, A List!

I pretty much never blog in list form. Which is funny, because I love lists, and "list posts" are very popular with bloggers and blog readers alike. So here is a list of thoughts I wanted to share but was not about to put into posts of their own.

1. I forgot to say, in Sophia's 3.5-Almost-4-Month post that she is grabbing things mostly with her left hand. We think we might have a left-hander. Which is interesting, because both Art and I are right-handed. I wonder if perhaps hand preference/dominance is not driven by genetics? Hmm...

2. A couple of weeks ago, one of the blogs I follow (Pregnant Chicken - very hilarious) did a giveaway, and I won! I never win these things! The giveaway was $25 worth of merchandise from the Etsy shop Lulu's Nest. She makes the cutest wool felt hair accessories for little girls. I chose a ballet slipper clip, a butterfly clip, a dessert clip set, and a cupcake bookmark.




I can't wait to put these in Sophia's hair!

3. My sister and a friend gave me similar advice for Sophia's not-so-good napping situation. I then realized that it was pretty much what I did to get Sophia to sleep in her playpen at night. Duh! I need to employ the same method, but now I'm doing it during the day instead of at night. I'm excited and hopeful, and also nervous that I'm going to give up after one day. So I'm only going to start on Monday. That way Art can enjoy his weekend and not have to deal with the frustration of Nap Time Experimentation. *Fingers crossed!*

4. My mom is going to buy us a swing-that-also-turns-into-a-highchair. I'm hoping this will help keep Sophia entertained a little bit longer than her bouncy seat, and then maybe I can actually prepare a meal! *Again, fingers crossed!*

5. Speaking of preparing meals, Art has been doing most of the cooking these days. And by "cooking" I mean "sometimes baking." It's so cute seeing him in the kitchen, stirring a bowl of flour and sugar and butter, and rolling the dough in his hands, and popping pans in and out of the oven. And since I'm a bit of a cookie monster myself, I don't complain when we end up having cookies for dinner (followed by a little bit of chicken much much later.)

I don't know what it is about summer that makes us go, "health food shmealth food." It was like this last summer too. Pizza and slurpees and ice cream and Taco Bell. All the time. I think it's so funny that people told us we got pregnant because of our healthy eating. I kept thinking to myself, "But we haven't eaten healthy in a couple of months now!"

6. A year ago today I was approximately one week pregnant, and I had no idea!

7. We basically didn't do anything for the 4th of July this year. We were going to watch the parade in Oak Harbor, but we left the house too late for that. So we hung out with Art's parents instead. Which means we sat inside and watched TV for several hours. And then we went home before it got dark, so we didn't get to watch any fireworks. I could hear them going on somewhere outside (and some were so loud! I can't believe Sophia slept at all that night), but I couldn't see them. Oh well. July 4th comes around every year. It won't always be like this.

8. I changed my blog. Did you notice? Do you see the white space behind these words? I have wanted my blog to look like this for a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long time, and I finally figured out how! And then I changed the background (outside of this white space) to something "coast-like", to better represent the name of my blog. I'm quite happy with it. Except the header. It's close, but not quite perfect. But I think it's a huge improvement.

9. It is a perfectly warm and sunny day, and Sozan and I going to a small market that sells farm-fresh produce. I've been dying to get my hands on some strawberries and raspberries and Ranier cherries. We also promised that we would go berry picking this summer. We have promised to do so every summer since I moved here, but it has never happened. This year WILL be the year. There are so many U-Pick farms around here, so we have no excuse.

10. And now I must stop typing, because I have reached the magical number (10), and Sophia just woke up from her first of many lap naps, and Art is about to serve up some peppercorn steak and eggs for "breakfast." (It's noon.)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Mom said...

All the best with the nap thing! Those clips will be cute in her hair.
Talk to you soon. Love, Mom

Elleah said...

I like your blog's new look! One thing I used to do with Blake in the first 3 months to get suppers prepared was just lie him down on the kitchen floor on a blanket. As long as he was near me, he was happy. You will be able to cook again someday! :)

Callie said...

I'm liking the list post! :-) Derek does alot more cooking these days too - I think it's sweet. We didn't watch any fireworks either, because Wyatt had a rough weekend, and we figured he needed some sleep. There are no fireworks near us. And that's so funny that you end up eating more unhealthy in the summer! Summertime usually makes me want to eat healthier, but it hasn't happened this year because I hardly ever get to the store these days . . . and it ends up being easier to just eat out. :-/ I figure Taco Bell is one of the healthier fast food places though - not so much grease, and beans have protein!