Okay, so I promised I would blog before the weekend, and now the weekend has passed, and it's Wednesday. Oops.
So. We moved. Here is how it all went down.
On Friday, February 11th, we got a call from our leasing manager telling us that we could pick up the keys to the new place that day. So we went down to the leasing office, signed the papers, paid the rest of the deposit, and got the keys.
Wayne and Sozan were with us on Friday night, stayed the night, and helped us move on Saturday. Well, I should say Sozan helped us move. Actually, she basically did it all. Wayne was busy all day Saturday, and Art was gone for a few hours in the middle of the day as well. We were all up and about by 8am, and by 8:30, Sozan we ready to get started.
She tackled the kitchen stuff while I did a walk-through and completed the move-in check list/inspection list. By the time I was done with the list, she was done moving the kitchen! Art helped her a little bit, but left for the gym before 10am.
I don't remember moving a whole lot of stuff. I mostly remember organizing things here and there once it was moved in. I made sure not to lift or carry anything heavy. By the time Art got back from the gym at 12:30, all we had to move was the bedroom stuff. Sozan had to leave by 1pm, and, with the exception of the big heavy furniture, we got it ALL DONE by 1pm. I could not believe it.
Art and I took a break, got some lunch, and when Wayne was done with his thing, Art called up a third friend, and the guys quickly moved the heavy furniture. I decided to start cleaning the old place, and managed to get the bathroom done. I was going to clean the kitchen next, but I realized very quickly that I was quite stiff and sore. I almost couldn't move. I really didn't think I had done a whole lot, but I had to remind myself that at this stage of pregnancy, it's really easy to overdo it.
I was so exhausted I was almost in tears. I decided to stop cleaning, and go lie down. The guys patched up some holes in the walls, then went and got dinner. I got up to eat, but made sure that I moved as little as possible. Oh, how my body hurt!
Thankfully, the next day was a rest day. We went to church, and then went to see Art's parents. The four of us went down to Seattle to The Crab Pot for dinner. That place is awesome. They have quite a menu, and you can order individual plates of food, but people go there for ultimate seafood experience and order one of the specials instead.
For the specials, the chefs steam up a variety of seafood in a large bowl (clams, mussels, shrimp, crab legs, along with some potatoes, mini corn-on-the-cobs, and andouille sausage), give you a bib and a mallet, and dump the whole bowl of food right on the table in front of you. They provide plenty of melted butter for dipping, and you just dive in! It was delicious, not to mention tons of fun.
Thankfully, I didn't have to use my mallet too much. I've had enough crab legs to to be able to crack most of them with my hands. Diners beware: if you're using your mallet, shell pieces will go flying!
It was a great day, and I'm glad we did it. We weren't home at all the entire day, so I wasn't thinking about moving or cleaning or organizing. But even though we were out of the house, I wasn't moving around too much either, so my brain and my body got rest they needed.
I took the next day off of work, Sozan came over again, and helped me clean the old apartment. We were all done before noon! We did some organizing in our new place, and had a hard time tearing ourselves away, but I also had errands to run. We got groceries, I registered our change of address at the post office, and got our internet hooked up.
Wayne and Art arrived after work, and Sozan and I cooked dinner for all of us. I was definitely tired at the end of Monday, but it wasn't as bad as Saturday. Sozan is the most amazing friend. She worked so hard. All the credit goes to her. I'm still trying to think of a way to repay her. She would tell you that she enjoyed it, because she's crazy like that. :)
By the end of Monday, we were able to hand in the keys to the old place, and we were fully settled into the new place. I still can't believe how easy and quick it was. Our landlords are pretty quick too. Our new neighbors just moved in this past Monday! We've been out for 10 days, and the new couple is already in.
10 days has gone by very quickly, but at the same time, it kind of feels like we've been here longer than that. Maybe because we had been here so many times when our friends lived here, so it we were quite familiar with it before we moved in.
So that was the crazy whirlwind moving weekend. Hopefully that's the last move for us for a few years. We've moved three times in the 2.5 years we've been married. I just want to settle for a while. We know we won't be in this place forever, but it would be nice to stay put for a little while.
1 comment:
Wow that was a whirlwind move! I'm also thankful for the great fiend you have. Thanks again Suzanne!! I'm also real thankful you got into the 2 bedroom before the baby arrives. I hope and pray that your last month of pregnancy goes better than the other 8 months did! Love, Mom
Post a Comment