Basically, I'm putting together a gift for a friend of mine who is getting married. I'm making her an album, not of pictures, but of cards containing advice, wisdom, and quotable quotes about marriage, from married people, based on their own marriage experience.
And this is where I need YOU: if you were given the chance to tell a young bride all the things you wish people had told you (or some of the things people DID tell you), or all of the things you have learned about marriage so that she could have a great start to her marriage, what would you say?
Will you help me out by replying with your wisdom and advice in the comments section? I want lots and lots and lots of responses. Seriously. I dare you to try and overwhelm me.
Two things to note: 1) It must fit on a 4x6 card. In other words, don't write me a novel. :D And 2) on Facebook I got quite a few responses, and almost all of them fit into one of two categories: the "how to fight or not fight" subject, or the "make sure to spend time together" subject. Which is great advice. But I can't fill an entire an entire album with that. So, variety! Variety is the name of the game.
And get your spouses and parents and siblings and friends to contribute as well. I would appreciate that muchly. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, must be completed in one week.
Aaaaaaaaand GO!
Aaaaaaaaand GO!
5 comments:
Communication is really important. Part of talking is listening. Validate each other's feelings...eg. if your partner is voicing their feelings don't just ignore them or say oh that's silly, you shouldn't feel that way. Remember boy's brains are "blue" and girl's brains are "pink". In other words we usually think and feel differently about things.
To often marriage ends and you hear the statement "He/She changed. They weren't the person I married anymore." Change happens. To everyone. In ten years - your spouse will not be the same person they are today and neither will you. The key is to learn to change and grow together and to continue to fall in love with each other over and over again.
Surprise your husband! He loves romance too - a candelight dinner, a massage, a note on his pillow. He needs to feel loved and this is a good way to show it. :)
Don't make degrading jokes about each other. Those can really hurt!
Okay, I'll give it a shot. :-)
Here are two things that I've learned through marriage. Every person kind of has to learn these themselves, so I'm not sure it constitutes advice, but I suppose it will be nice for her to have a heads up.
1. One thing I've learned since we got married is how selfish I really am. You will learn this too, but the process will be easier if you start doing everything you can to be a servant to your spouse from the start, instead of having to go through the difficult process of learning to do that after you've already been married a while.
2. Men need respect, and there are countless subtle ways that we women can disrespect our husbands without even realizing it. Get into the practice of asking yourself if your words or actions could come across as disrespectful to your husband, in his eyes or the eyes of other people, before you speak or act.
There you go. I hope that wasn't a book. :-)
Post a Comment