November 26, 2009

I Did It! I Really Did It!

Art's parents couldn't come up for Thanksgiving this year, because they are working. Stupid places that make people work on Thanksgiving. Anyway. His parents brought the turkey last year. This year? It was up to me.

And I was scared out of my tree.

I was always of the opinion that cooking a turkey was only something you did at the height of your cooking career. I thought I should have perfected many many many meals before tackling a giant bird.

So I just went slowly. I followed the directions exactly. I thawed it, washed it, basted it, put it in a pan, poured some chicken stock all over, and stuck it in the oven for 5 hours. And it was beautiful. And moist. And delicious. (And I started a tiny fire in the oven around hour three, but it was over in a flash. I just spilled some drippings. I'll buy some heavy duty oven cleaner soon.)

And then I made stuffing, and candied yams, and corn, and Mari made gravy and mashed potatoes, and we had dinner rolls..... It was THE perfect Thanksgiving dinner. And we made it all ourselves.

Oh, and the house is clean.

I know today is supposed to be a day of thankfulness, not bragging. But I'm just gotta say it: I rock!

Don't worry, I'm also thankful. For family. And food. And no fires or injuries. And help with dinner. And the turkey that gave its life so I could realize my full cooking potential. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

5 comments:

Elleah said...

Wow! I'm impressed!

Mom said...

You go girl! Love you, Mom

Brandi-Lee said...

You should be very proud! I often wonder when this responsibility will fall on my shoulders...

Callie said...

GOod job! I'm really impressed - I'm scared to try a turkey, but you've given me hope!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I was too scared to try a turkey this year, thankfully the parents brought it. Maybe next year...