November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving on a Tuesday

I usually try to post at least once a week, but that didn't happen last week. I haven't been getting enough sleep (thanks to Sophia, but more on that in her 8 month update post, coming tomorrow!). I've been exhausted, and just trying to get through each day. No mental energy to come up with blog posts.

But, like I said, Sophia's 8 month update will go up tomorrow. And today?

Today we will be at Art's parents' house for Thanksgiving! Because of every body's schedules, it worked better to do Thanksgiving today instead of Thursday. Art's mom is hosting, but not cooking, so we're getting the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pies cooked in advance, and they're going to pick it all up in the afternoon. I've cooked entire Thanksgiving dinners in the past, and I would love to do it this year, but now that I have a baby, it's just not possible.

I'll be making the green bean casserole and candied yams there, but I've picked the most simple versions possible, so it will be quick, and easy, and stress-free. I made the spinach dip last night, so it's all ready to go.

This will definitely be one of the most laid back Thanksgivings we'll ever have. Well, it will probably be like this for the next couple of years. But believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to the day when I can spend hours and hours in the kitchen, making (nearly) every dish from scratch (with a little help). There is something so rewarding about sitting down to a Thanksgiving feast, knowing that you cooked all of it (and hopefully did a good job).

It's weird, because normally I wouldn't say that I love cooking. But when it comes to a great, big turkey dinner? I am more than happy to "slave away" at it. Of course, we can't forget that a full day of cooking helps to build up a big appetite.

And since no Thanksgiving post would be complete without giving thanks for something: I am thankful that Art pretty much has the whole week off, both from work, and school. I have no idea what we're going to do with all the free days ahead of us, but it will be nice just having him around. I'm sure Sophia will love it too. :)

1 comment:

Callie said...

I'm so impressed that you've cooked whole Thanksgiving dinners in the past - we're having Derek's parents up here for Thanksgiving this year, and I'm just not ready to cook a whole meal, so I'm cheating and ordering one from King Soopers! Maybe when Wyatt gets old enough to appreciate it I'll jump into doing a turkey and all that.