August 8, 2011

My Cloth Diapering Experience: Part 1

For those of you who don't already know, I am a cloth diapering mama. When I found out I was pregnant, Art and I agreed that we would do whatever we could so that I would be a stay-at-home mom. One of the areas where I knew we could save money was diapers. We don't have enough money in our budget to spend $1600-$2000 on diapers that we're just going to throw away.

So I hopped online and started to research like CRAZY. I spent so much time on cloth diaper websites that I had dreams about it. I looked at brands, styles, materials, prices, accessories, and how to care for them. My interest quickly grew into obsession. I had no problem admitting that I loved cloth diapers, and would enjoy putting them on my baby.

I registered for many cloth diapers, and received some at my various baby showers. My mom bought me several after Sophia was born. I used a few gift cards to purchase more and made my stash what it is today. So here is my entire stash (more or less), and my thoughts on how they fit and how they perform.

These are Econobum covers, and they each came with three prefolds (not pictured). [Prefolds are square diapers that get folded into thirds before they go on baby/in cover.] These are one-size covers (fitting approx. 8-35 lbs), but Sophia is only now able to wear them (and she is over 13 lbs). I bought them because they quite inexpensive (hence the name), and the covers are very thin, so they're a very trim option. They leaked the first time she wore them, but not the second time. So I'm crossing my fingers that they will work!
New - $9 each

Pictured above are two Mother-ease one-size diapers, one Bummis cover (sm.), and one Starbunz panda cover (med.). Sophia has yet to grow into the panda cover, and she is thisclose to fitting into the diapers and other cover. She wore them one time, and they worked just fine, but I won't be truly adding them into my rotation until she gets a bit bigger and I can be more sure of the fit.
M.E. new - $13 each
Bummis new - $13 each
Starbunz new - $21 each (quite expensive for a cover, but look how cute it is!)

These buttery soft diapers are Kawaii bamboo minky diapers. [Bamboo on the inside, minky on the outside.] I actually have three from this brand, not two, but the third is in the laundry. These are one-size pocket diapers. Pockets are very popular because they're (usually) not as bulky, a bit cheaper, and you can customize the absorbency. These each come with two bamboo inserts, so they're great for night time. These particular diapers are bulky on Sophia, so she's only worn them twice, and only at night, but so far so good!
New - $12 each [So cheap, yet so reliable!]

This is one of my Flip one-size covers with a few small Cloth-eez Indian cotton prefolds. Probably the most difficult system to deal with [fold prefold into thirds, lay it inside the cover, try to get it to stay that way while putting it on a squirmy baby], but it's cheap and extremely reliable. The Flip covers came with prefolds of their own (not pictured), but those are too big at the moment. Surprisingly trim. If your budget was really tight, you could easily have an entire stash of just these, and I think you'd be quite happy.
C.E. sm. new - $3 each (I have six)
C.E. med. new - $3 each (I have six, not pictured)
Flip new - $17 each, with prefolds, or $13 w/o prefolds (I have three)

These lovely fleece diapers and fleece covers were homemade by a friend of a former coworker. I just tried them on Sophia a few days ago and was excited to discover that they fit! Four more diapers to add to the rotation. I haven't used the fleece covers yet, because that would be way too bulky under clothes. But I'm sure they work wonderfully at night. [Now that the weather is so warm, Sophia sleeps with just a diaper, in a sleep sack.] One of these days I'll work up the courage to use a fleece cover. I hear it's super absorbent, but I have yet to put it to the test.


These are my one-size All-In-Ones (aka OS AIO) by bumGenius. [All-In-One simply means that the absorbent layers and waterproof cover are all one piece.] These are definitely my easiest diapers. Just snap it on - that's it! They're a bit bulky, but not too bulky that she can't wear them under clothes. They're fairly reliable, but they are prone to leaks, because the elastic around the legs isn't in top shape anymore (a risk I took by buying them used). I'm perfectly satisfied with them for daytime, but I wouldn't use them at night. (I might if they were brand new...)
Used - $17 each
New- $25 each



These are AIO x-small by bumGenius. Unfortunately Sophia has outgrown these now. It's a pity, because not only are they so easy, but they're also quite trim, for being an AIO. How did they perform when she did wear them? So-so. Sophia's such a skinny girl that even these were too big for her when she was a newborn, so they leaked quite a bit. I stopped having leaks only when she got bigger, and I had to make them quite snug on her. A chunkier newborn would have more success with these.
New - $13 each


These are my OS pocket diapers by bumGenius. Each diaper comes with two inserts: a newborn size insert, and a sizeable insert. Hands down, these my most reliable diapers (as far as leak prevention goes), so they have become Sophia's nighttime diapers. They are a bit bulky on her right now, but it's not a problem, since they're never worn under clothing.
New - $18 each


This is an Applecheeks pocket diaper. It can be purchased with or without an insert (insert shown is not Applecheeks brand). This is definitely Art's favorite diaper. He'll always reach for this one first. It's super soft, both inside and outside, and it's quite trim, even when double-stuffed. I was singing this diaper's praises for a while, but I've decided that I don't like it so much after all.

Applecheeks does a two-size system, so it will only fit her until she's approx. 18 lbs, then I have to buy the next size up. It does give a more accurate fit, but I'm not getting as much for my money as I would with a one-size. Also, I consistently have leakage problems with this one. I don't know why. I'm sad that it's not working out as I had hoped, because it comes in so many bright fun colors. And did I mention how soft it is?
New - $19 each (IMO, take the money you would have spent on this one and buy a different diaper.)


These are my Kissaluvs Size 0, with a Bummis cover x-sm. These were my go-to diapers when Sophia was a newborn. Even though it's a two-part system, it's very reliable. If the diaper is completely tucked into the cover and the cover is snug, Sophia could wear these overnight, with no leaks! (She doesn't now, because she's outgrown them, but she has.) If you're going to buy diapers for your newborn, I highly recommend these. They served me very well.
KL new - $14 each
Bummis new - $13 each



To go along with my cloth diapers, I also use cloth wipes. I got SO MANY baby washcloths (70, I think?), so I converted most of them to wipes. I stash them (usually a lot neater than that) in an old disposable wipes container. [I use the wipe pod for travel.] The wipes are dry, and I mix my own solution and spray the wipe right before I use it.

The recipe I use for the wipe spray is: 1 cup hot water, 1 chamomile tea bag, 1 tsp liquid baby soap, 1 tsp grapeseed oil, and 1 drop lavender oil. I make this in a jar, and refill the spray bottle as needed. One jar lasts about six weeks. [You can find more cloth wipe solution recipes here.]


And this is where I store everything. A basket, on the floor in the living room, near our couch. I nurse her on the couch, and for me, it's easiest to have her diaper station close to the nursing station.

So now that you've seen my stash, what I want to know is: how many of you knew that cloth diapers could be snapped or Velcro-ed shut, making them as easy to put on as a disposable? Or how many of you knew that diapers could come in so many pretty/fun colors and designs? These are not the cloth diapers from your grandma's day, and thank goodness!

Up next, addressing frequently asked questions and oft-made comments from those who think that cloth diapering is just crazy. :)

3 comments:

Mom said...

Well put and illustrated! Who knew that cloth diapering could be as easy as you make it sound!

Elleah said...

Wow, I had no idea you had so many different kinds! I'm glad you're having success with cloth diapers!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your honest reviews! I was cloth diapered as a child and look forward to the opportunity to do so with my own children, whenever that is. The industry has grown so well, and the products available make it so much easier...
Speaking of which, I just wanted to share something with you that I found during my own massive research phase.
http://www.amazon.com/Imse-Vimse-Flushable-Liner-pieces/dp/B0009A3I5K/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IA6V7270L7GMK&colid=269NLZ6SWXAFR

These are soft, biodegradable rice paper inserts that catch solid waste so you can just drop it into the toilet. From amazon, 400 liners for about 11.00.
I would think this would make a *fun* job even easier, and they seem cheap. :)
This isn't an affiliate link, just passing info.
Blessings!