March 21, 2011

Mommy and Baby Update

Today is the first day since giving birth that I have had more than 20 minutes on the computer. So far, I have spent it reading blogs.

Sophia didn't eat very much at her last feeding, so I don't think I have much more time to be on here. Which means today will not be the day where I share her birth story.

But I will give an update.

She is six days old today, and her umbilical cord stump fell off in the middle of the night. When she was two days old, she had lost 9 ounces. At three days old, she gained back one ounce. She will be weighed today, and I'm praying that a few more ounces have been added.

She is a very sleepy girl, and hardly fusses at all. Which is a good thing, except when it comes to feeding. It takes an hour or more to get her fully fed, and sometimes (like the last feeding), she just falls asleep without getting as much as I think she could (and should), so then I know we'll barely make it two hours between feedings.

Actually, I would like to ask for your prayers about this one. I know it's not bad that she's a sleepy feeder, but what is bad is that she doesn't suck vigorously, which means she's not drawing enough breast into her mouth, which means she's only getting tiny sips when she needs to be gulping.

We went to see a lactation consultant last week, and I was given a nipple shield, which has helped. But it's not meant to be used forever. I keep praying that Sophia will learn to breastfeed without it. I don't think I'd be as worried if she wasn't also jaundiced. So yeah. Prayers are greatly appreciated.

Also, since she doesn't fuss a lot, she rarely cries when she's hungry. So we sleep with her in our bed, and I'm learning what her hunger cues are. I never thought I'd be a cosleeper, but now it just makes sense. I love having her that close at night, and I'm not worried about rolling over on her or suffocating her. Plus, I feed her right there in the bed at night, so once we're done, we can just lie down and go to sleep.

And how am I doing? I am healing well. I'm probably on my feet more than I should be, (and more than my midwife would like me to be), but sitting for long periods of time also hurts. Plus, I feel like the movement is helping me heal, as long as I don't move in such a way that would damage the area where I was stitched. I'm still very careful about that.

My friend Sozan, and Art's parents were here for two whole days after I gave birth. I am so very grateful for their help. I was able to stay in bed and just concentrate on me and Sophia, and they took care of everything else. And just when they had to go home, my mom arrived, and she'll be here for two weeks.

And after that, the church is going to set up a meal chain for me. I continue to be amazed and humbled by all the love and support and help and generosity and encouragement that is around me. God is so good. So very very good.

Art went back to work today. It was wonderful to have a full week with him at home, and he had the option of taking more time off. But he is now the sole source of income for us. I think it was hard for him to leave this morning, but that means he'll spend all evening cuddling with her to make up for it. He's such a good dad.

Well, I expect Sophia to be calling any minute now (although she's cuddling with Grandma right now, so I might have a few more minutes yet). But I need to make sure that I get some food in my tummy.

I'll leave you with a couple of pictures of our sweet girl. Isn't she the prettiest girl in the world? :)



5 comments:

Jamie said...

Ohhhh, she is ADORABLE! Love that dark hair!

Callie said...

She's such a beautiful baby! I'll pray that she starts eating better - Wyatt was a lazy eater for the first few weeks too - he had so many pauses while nursing, it took forever to feed him. But he eats much faster now, and he sucks much more vigorously. Hopefully Sophia will be the same way and get better at eating soon!

GreenPunkMama said...

I stumbled upon your blog through someone else I follow but wanted to stop by and say congrats :) My bitty baby girl also had issues sucking hard enough to get a good gulp, my lactation consultant had me pump and feed her with a bottle or syringe just to get her calorie intake up :)

Elleah said...

Glad to hear you're doing well and will continue to pray for good feedings! Yes, she is beautiful, pretty close to being tied with Kiera! :)

Helen said...

Jenene, Sophia is soooo beautiful! Man, babies are amazing! What a miracle and gift from God!