As of today, Sophia is two weeks old. I cannot believe that two weeks has already gone by.
This also means that my mom is leaving very soon, but let's not think about that right now.
At the moment, I've got my little girl snuggled and sleeping in the Moby wrap, and I was attempting to go through a massive pile of clothes that we received from one of Art's Filipino Aunties. And then I decided to just go on the computer instead.
Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about Sophia's birth story. I'm almost done writing it, but I haven't had a ton of time to work on it. [Partly because we've been going out pretty much every day. And partly because I've been trying to organize a ton of baby pictures, but every time I open up my pictures folder, my computer slows right down to a crawl.]
But I promise: that post WILL go up before she graduates from college. ;)
Quick prayer request: it seems our little sweet pea is not gaining weight like she should. Ideally she would be back up to her birth weight by now, but she is several ounces shy of that (and has been for a few days). I've seen a lactation consultant twice, and they, along with my doctor, keep telling me that I'm doing everything right, and that Sophia is healthy.
I think the problem might be that Sophia doesn't eat with gusto when she's at the breast. She likes to get sleepy during feeding time, and she ends up burning the calories that she's taking in with prolonged, weak sucking. I'm trying not to be too worried about it (but that's akin to trying not to breathe. I'm just being a typical new momma). I know that I can always supplement for a while if I have to, but the point is that I want my little girl to grow.
Your prayers would be much appreciated.
And speaking of feeding, I must end this post because it's time for lunch for this one!
4 comments:
I will definitely keep praying for her to gain weight!
I hope the feedings get better soon and she gains weight! I'll be praying for you guys!
Hi Jenene,
This comment is entirely unsolicited and perhaps even unwanted but on the off-chance it's helpful, I'll leave it :)
I'm a friend of Elleah's that you've probably met once or twice before. I often read her blog and that's how I came across yours :)
Anyhow, I am completing an internship to become a dietitian and have just spent 6 weeks in the neonatal intensive care unit where my job was to help babies grow!
A couple of questions....
-do you have a large milk supply? or does your baby drain your breasts while eating?
-if she doesn't drain you, then the majority of the type of milk she is getting is"foremilk" rather than "hindmilk".
-hindmilk is more densely packed with calories so the baby gets more nutrients for her effort.
-in order for her to drink more hindmilk, you could pump before she eats so that she drains you.
Again, sorry if this is all stuff you already know. Just thought I'd pipe up in case it's a useful tip for you!
Jessica
Hi..how are my girls doing now that Nana is gone? I miss holding Sophia. Is she eating any better yet? If not yet, I'm sure she will soon! Love & Prayers, Mom.
Post a Comment