December 28, 2010

Christmas In a Nutshell

Art and I exchanged our Christmas gifts last night. And it was the most anti-climactic thing you have ever seen. :)

1.Art's gift to me arrived late, which he was pretty upset about. He paid extra to make sure it would get here before Christmas, but it only arrived yesterday.

2. While we were opening gifts with his family on Christmas Day, his mom spilled the beans when she asked him where my gift was. He was really hoping to surprise me. So that didn't go the way he had hoped either.

3. We exchanged gifts sitting on the bathroom floor, because I was a sick little girl all evening and all night, so I set up camp there, and basically didn't move until about 4:00am this morning.

He was such a sweetheart about all of it. He brought both gifts in, and helped me open mine (because I was too shaky to open the box). I gave him the most pathetic smile, whispered "thank you", and then basically sent him away, because when I'm sick like that, I just want to be left alone.

And what was this amazing gift that deserved much more enthusiasm than I was able to give in that moment? An iPod. I have been wanting one for so long, and I honestly didn't think I was going to get one. He is the world's greatest husband, and I was too ill to properly appreciate his gift to me. I feel so bad about the whole thing, even though the circumstances were beyond our control.

Plus, this is two years in a row where our gift exchange has been somewhat disappointing. Last year, he bought me a coat, and I bought him some shoes, and neither fit. We both had to exchange them for different sizes.

Oh well. The point of Christmas is not to have a magical gift exchanging experience. But it would be nice if next year, everything would work out the way it's supposed to.

Other than last night, Christmas was really nice. I enjoyed having his whole family here, even if it was a little squished. Everyone slept pretty comfortably on our living room floor on Christmas Eve, and we spent all of Christmas Day in our pajamas, playing games and watching movies.

So that was Christmas 2010.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Being sick just plain sucks! I sincerely hope next year everything works out perfect...remember you'll have another person to share it with! Love and well wishes, Mom.

Elleah said...

That's sweet of him! Good to hear (on Facebook) that you're feeling better!

Callie said...

Oo, an iPod! That's a great gift!

Kat said...

Just think how different Christmas will be next year!! So exciting...I keep (jokingly) pressuring my sister to get pregnant NOW so that I have a little niece or nephew at Christmas next year ;)