September 22, 2010

In Preparation for Our Baby

So as you can see, I haven't made any changes to my blog yet. It just so happens that I really really really want a certain template, and of course, it would be the most difficult one to work with. Art's dad just helped me figure out how to "unzip" the file, after days of me trying to download various programs that would read it. Very soon I get to start playing around with the colors and fonts, and customizing the code the way I want it. I hope it works!

So in the meantime, here is the post I promised, telling you about some of the ideas and plans we have for our lil' bambino (or bambina).

1. Introducing the Graco Pack-N-Play Playpen!
We don't have the money or the space to get a crib, and when we saw this, we fell in love with it immediately. It has two levels, so we can use it for the newborn and toddler stage. It's lightweight and has wheels, for easy mobility around the apartment. The upper level comes with a switch to make it vibrate, and even play soothing sounds. And of course, you can pack it up and cart it to another location.

We also love the colors. I wasn't convinced there was any such thing as "gender-neutral" colors (at least, I don't think Easter Yellow and Easter Green are gender-neutral. Like Art said, if they're pastel, they belong on a girl). But I think this is perfect for either boy or girl.


2. This particular sling/baby carrier is called the Moby Wrap.
The day after we found out that I'm pregnant, I saw a woman using one, and I went and asked her what on earth it was. I had never seen one before, and it looks so comfortable. I love that it wears like a shirt, so there is even distribution of weight across the back, the shoulders, and the waist. She told me that there are several different ways to wrap it, depending on the size of the child, and way you want to carry them.

I haven't been able to find one for less than $35, which seems a bit steep for a big piece of stretchy material, but I think it will be worth it, and I'm really excited to get it.


3. I was going to show you the stroller/car seat/baby carrier set that we were getting, because it was practically new, and we were going to get it from Art's coworker for less than half the price than she paid for it, but we didn't jump on it fast enough, and they sold it to someone else. I hear there are a lot of consignment shops in the area, so I think we'll start looking there instead. I'm determined not to buy them new, because I know there are so many gently used ones out there, and the more money we can save on the big items, the better.


4. Ya'll are going to think I'm crazy, but I don't care. We're doing cloth diapers. I found this amazing blog dedicated to helping other moms navigate the world of cloth diapering. She writes the blog for free, but she put together a manual (so that other moms don't make the same mistakes she did) that can be purchased as well, so I think I'm going to order that with my next pay check. I read one particular post where she said most moms don't need more than 24 diapers total. I know one cloth diaper costs more than one disposable diaper, but in the end, I think we'll still be saving a lot of money.

The manual covers the pros and cons of different brands out there, sizing information, how to wash, dry, and maintain the diapers, when to replace a diaper, and all that stuff. And it's not like we'll never buy any disposables (I'm thinking for long car trips, or when someone else is babysitting), but we'll be doing mainly cloth.

Although, there are so many options out there, so many companies trying to make cloth diapers easier to figure out, that maybe we won't ever need disposables. But I'm not going to rule it out entirely. Also, I won't be using cloth wipes. That's going a bit too far for my liking. Disposable wipes all the way.


5. I've decided I'm going to make my own burp cloths and bibs. I just happened upon this book in a bookstore once, and I got inspired to make some of my own things for our baby. I haven't used a sewing machine in quite some time, but I have one, and I used to be good at it. Also, those two projects (bibs and cloths) look like they'd be fairly easy.

Plus, I don't even have to go out and buy a bunch of material. I'm going to use a pile of old shirts that we decided we didn't want anymore. I realized that bibs and burp cloths are meant to get dirty, and instead of having a whole collection of cute items that are going to get ruined by spit-up and drool and such, why don't I put to good use some of our clothes that don't fit anymore, but are still in good condition? (The shirts I have set aside don't have any stains or holes, they mostly just don't fit.)

I don't consider myself to be really crafty or creative, but I figured those two items are well within my abilities.


6. I have vague plans for how we will store all the baby items. I'm trying to figure out ways that we can make the most of our small space. We surely aren't the first people in this world to have a baby in a one bedroom apartment, so I know it can be done. (And any helpful tips you have would be greatly appreciated.) I know I'm good at keeping everything clean and organized, but I haven't had to do a whole lot of space saving yet. Needless to say, it's going to be interesting.


7. I was kind of afraid to mention this, because I didn't want to jinx it (even though I really don't believe in that type of thing), but we are making plans to have a midwife, and a natural birth at a birth center. We just had an appointment with another midwife on Monday and - *fingers crossed* - I think she might be the one. She's the third midwife I've tried, the second I've met with, and she was fairly certain she would be able to fit me in. I'm expecting a call back this week with a definitive answer.

I really really really hope this works out, because she's also a naturopathic family doctor, so we can just continue to see her even after the official postpartum care is complete. (Side note: I'm going to do a whole separate post on midwifery, and natural childbirth, and why I've decided to go that direction.)


And before I get all sorts of lengthy, judgemental comments (because seriously? I never know when I've opened a can of worms), I'm just going to make it clear that all the items above are our ideal plans. I know that ideals change, plans change, life changes, and we could very well end up not doing what we said we were going to do. I've never been a parent, so I know I don't have all the answers, and I'm about to find out exactly how true that statement is.

But I also see no reason why we shouldn't try to go in those particular directions. We have lots of people and resources we can turn to, and we're already accessing those people and resources before we do anything. We have not purchased or made a single thing yet. These are still just plans. And there are still plans that need to be made, and research that needs to be done.

Just please don't tell me that those items up there are unrealistic. In most cases, we've made our decisions based on seeing someone else do it, and do it well.

Anyway, that's my diatribe for the day. Congratulations if you made it through this very lengthy post. And of course, any tips, insights, or fair warnings are welcome. Like any parent, we're going to need all the help and support we can get!

8 comments:

Stephanie/Princess_Bear said...

I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago. :) I like it!

You might find all this information helpful... http://christianfamilyplanning.net/index.php/topic,1941.0.html

Manewal Family 360 said...

I am glad you guys have decided on how you want to do things, for now anyways. Like you said things change. I had a midwife for my last kiddo, wasn't supposed to be a natural child birth, but it ended up that way. It wasn't too bad. I think I had more "pains" after at home with the epidural birth. Do you mind if I try to make a few bibs and/or burp cloths? I have a friend who showed me a pattern awhile back and I wanted to make some, but had no reason to. I think it's so neat to imagine my little brother (&wife) with a little baby of their own. Can't wait to hear all the interesting stories of life. Love you guys!

Mom said...

Jenene...I really do wish you all the best with your plans and hope they all work out. Too bad about the stroller/car seat being sold before you got to it. A suggestion...why don't you put the play pen and stroller/car seat on your gift registry for the shower you said someone wanted to have for you.

Mom said...

Jenene, I wish you all the best with your plans. I really hope they work out. If people want to put on a shower for you maybe you could ask for the play pen and stroller/car seat instead of a whole bunch of small items. Just a suggestion.

Brandi-Lee said...

Great post! I did a similar post because we chose a midwife too. You can read it if you want. Midwives rule. http://littledouce.blogspot.com/2009/04/why-did-i-choose-midwife.html

We are still living in a one bedroom apartment and Finn just turned one. (Not by choice, I will admit. We just can't seem to sell our place!) Anyway, my tips are as follows:

1. Always be going through stuff and get rid or store things you aren't using or that the baby is grown out of. Clutter happens way easier and way faster than you ever imagined!

2. Skip the clunky furniture and stick to things you only need. For instance, we have always changed Finn on the floor! No change table needed. Our high chair is also small and folds up great.

3. We keep Finn's diapers, wipes, cloths, bibs, small toys, and books in small baskets on our Ikea shelf in our living room. It doesn't look like a nursery and is neatly tucked away, yet readily accessible.

4. I can't really think of anything else right now. It's late. If I think of more tips on having a baby in a one bedroom apartment, I'll let you know!

OH - make sure you go for lots of walks or else you might go crazy in that small space.

Callie said...

Wow, go you! I just can't picture myself doing the cloth diaper thing, but maybe I'll check out that blog . . .
P.S. I agree with your mom - before you buy too many big items, you should make sure nobody is going to buy them for you first. My mom thankfully gave me a heads up before I bought any big things, because some of my close relatives want to get me some of the more expensive items we need. And that's so funny you've been getting the urge to sew stuff for your baby too! I'm going to borrow my mom's sewing machine I think, and try to sew a few things once I know the gender.

cavegirl_couture said...

dude, my mom s a midwife, it doesn't soud crazy to me at all... it's how its suposed to be! way to go for trying for that route! and, word to the wise on used car-seats, which im sure you've heard. just MAKE SURE they are still in excellent condition, never been in an accident, and arestill up to code. everything else you can always get used, but that is one thing you don't want to risk. i hope you can find a solid used one though, they are so expensive new...

Debra marriott said...

You were made to give birth, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :-) Medical intervention has it's place, but I think it's awesome you're gonna go without! And you might have people that say it'll be harder because you are teeny tiny...but I'm not that big either, and miss Gwen came through at 9 pounds 2 oz.

We cloth diapered with Gavin, and I still have all the covers; I'd be happy to give them to you if you want them. They are the really basic prowrap diapers. We used a diaper service and these are the wraps they sold. Just let me know; no pressure :-) I know there are a TON of options and you have to pic what will work best for you! I probably would have done something "fancier" if it weren't for the diaper service.