August 13, 2010

I Really Need to Get a New Template That Doesn't Have a Banner in This Space

First, I would like to give a shout out to my friend and fellow blogger, Callie from Through Clouded Glass. She just announced that she's pregnant!! I'm so happy for her and Derek. She went off the pill a little over a year ago, and blogged openly about her struggles with getting her cycle back on track. It took 11 months, but they finally conceived!

She's 10 weeks along, she just posted her first ultrasound picture (just click on the link above to see it!), and she has the tiniest, barely-there bump. It's so cute! I can't wait to "meet" their little one in March. So congratulations Callie!

[For the record, Callie and I have never met in person. I can't even remember how I found her blog, but I started reading and thought, "Wow, we have such parallel lives; we're practically the same person!" Except she's more fashionable than I am. :) But someday, I plan on meeting her. She lives in Colorado, and I've always wanted to go to Colorado. How convenient!]

We've got three weeks left with this house sitting gig. I really shouldn't be complaining at all, because they have a nice house, in a nice area. We're close to the gym, close to our favorite grocery store, and I can still take the same bus to work. But I just want to be in our home, sleeping in our bed at night, using our stuff.

Also? Art's been wanting a dog for the longest time, and I was tempted to finally get one. But after taking care of this dog for a couple of weeks, I'm not sure I'm ready. I think it's just because I'm so used to it just being the two of us. Now I have this animal that I have to feed twice a day, and give medication to (which is supposed to be easy, because she takes it with her food, but sometimes she skips over the pills, and then I have to force them into her mouth). I have take her on walks, and pick up her poop, and pay attention to her.

I sound so spoiled and selfish, don't I?

Okay, let's turn this around. Here is a list of things I'm going to miss when we live in our apartment:

1. The barbecue. It's been a real treat being able to use the one here. It makes cooking so easy; I barely have to do anything! We light it, throw meat and vegetables on there, check it occasionally, and then eat it! We hardly even need to season the food. The bbq does it for us!

2. Grocery stores. There isn't one close to our new place. I've enjoyed living so close to a Haggen, being able to walk there and pick stuff up, or stop there on my way home (there's a bus stop right close to it). I won't be able to do that anymore when we're at the apartment.

3. Speaking of buses: I'm not going to have easy access to public transportation. Right now I take two buses to work: one picks me up near the house, and takes me to the bus station. The other takes me from the bus station and drops me off right in front of where I work. So convenient! Ironically, where we're living is technically closer to where I work, but there is no bus that services those streets that I'm close to. So I'll have to walk to the bus station every morning.

It will take me the same amount of time as riding there, so I won't have to leave the house any earlier. But I'll be walking for half an hour instead of riding. Which will really suck on windy or rainy days.

4. Storage. We have no extra bedrooms, no garage, and small closets. There is really no place to store things that we're not using. I'll have to get really creative, or get rid of more things (or some combination of both).

So we've got it pretty good right now. I just need frequent reminders.

Well, I feel like I had more to say, but I'm kind of tired all of a sudden. And I should probably feed the dog. Oh, one more thing: Art has a mohawk now, because he plays rugby now, and I guess it's a rugby thing. I didn't want him to get one, but it's pretty short, and it actually looks good on him. And yes, I'm okay with him playing rugby. It really isn't more dangerous than football, and it's so much easier to follow.

Okay, I'm all out of words. It's your turn to tell me something (like, what you are all doing this weekend? It's supposed to be a beautiful one!)




4 comments:

Kat said...

Yeah, already lists are forming in my head of what I'll miss about this place when I might possibly have to move next year. Wow, judging by that last sentence I think grammar fell out of my head.

Enjoy what you can of the last few weeks of house/dog sitting! And just think how great your home will feel after this!

Callie said...

Aw, thanks for the shout-out Jenene! You're so sweet. :-)

I think I would definitely have a hard time with the storage issue, but it does give you good motivation to clean stuff out! I'm also the type that would need motivation like that.

That's so funny that Art has a mohawk! Is it a long-term hair-do, or is it only during rugby season?

Mom said...

Nice to "hear your voice" again thru your blog. We just got back from Black Duck, and had a good time. Can't say I'm thrilled to be home but it will be nice to sleep in our own bed again. So a understand about sleeping in your own bed.

cavegirl_couture said...

try putting some almond butter on the big white pills mokie hates eating. i love that dog aside from the fact she gets up at 4am and wants breakfast and play time.

man i wish i could see art with a mohawk. i bet he rocks it.