We bought a coconut over a month ago, and it's just been sitting around. I've been a little intimidated by it. But last week, I finally decided to open it up and see what it's all about. And I documented it for ya'll.
This is what a ripe coconut looks like. I don't know what an unripe coconut looks like; it's probably no different.
I read that you're not supposed to drink the milk of a ripe coconut. Art tasted it and said it was fine.
Then you put it in a bag (to contain the mess) and smash it open. That's our meat tenderizer. It's heavy. And the only hammer we own.
I tasted it. It tastes like a nut. And it's a bit dry. A friend told me that a young coconut is softer. I guess we let it sit too long. Next time, we'll open it right away.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the coconut chunks. Maybe I'll chop them up and use them in a cookie recipe. Yeah. That sounds like a good idea.
3 comments:
Do you have something that would grind the coconut into coconut flour?
I believe I've had coconut in the fresh form way back. From what I remember it tasted quite good.
This is a young coconut: http://www.rawguru.com/html/openyoungcoconut.html
Having a mature coconut sit on your counter doesn't really change much. :) You can buy young coconuts at the grocery store, in the refrigerated produce section.
I'm not sure where you heard not to drink coconut water... everything I've read says it's good for you. :)
Wow, I'm impressed. I've never bought a coconut, because I wouldn't even know where to start. I guess I'll use this post as a guide for the future!
I vote for cookies! I love cookies with coconut. Yum.
Post a Comment